Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Scissors, Haircuts, and Marriage

Today, Mom treated me to a haircut for my birthday. I was in desperate need of a cut and style, so six inches off and layers later, I now have a fresh, new, professional style for my fresh, new, professional life in Atlanta.

What does all of this have to do with marriage, as the title suggests?

Sitting next to me was an older couple, very much in love with each other. One was 80 and the other 82, yet they acted like newlyweds as they flirted and joked with each other. They admired each other's new haircuts and complimented one another throughout our conversation. When the lady found out I was recently married, she proudly told me that she'd been married over sixty years, saying, "It's worth it. You'll wake up some days wanting to run away but it's worth the hard work. 60 years later and we're loving every minute."

When they walked out of the salon hand-in-hand, my hairdresser said more to herself than to me, "That's how I want to be when I'm 80."

I thought, what a beautiful birthday gift they've just given me... a snapshot of 60 years of love.

For love all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room an everywhere.
-John Donne, "The Good Morrow"

No comments:

Post a Comment