So this week I tried two new salads that are a long way from the typical lettuce, carrots, and tomato. These salads are so scrumptious that they could stand alone, though for dinner I paired one with fish and quinoa. I also made to sure to make extra so I had leftovers for lunch! The first of these recipes is below:
Sweet Potato and Orange Salad from Cooking Light
Inspiration from this salad came from my go-to source, Cooking Light
1/2 Tbsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 oranges, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 of a red onion, vertically cut
2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
1/2 bag of spinach, kale, and swiss chard mix (I get mine from Trader Joe's)
Dressing: This will make extra to save for another salad
3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. ground spicy mustard
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
Sea salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first four ingredients and toss to coat. Place sweet potato mixture in jelly-roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake another 15 minutes or until potatoes are roasted.
- Remove from oven, and combine sweet potatoes with remaining salad ingredients.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and stirring with a whisk. (Or use a handy dressing mixer like I got for Christmas! See picture above.)
- Drizzle about half of the dressing over salad and toss to coat.
To make a complete meal, pair this salad with grilled and seasoned fish with a side of avocado quinoa.