The first is another delicious salad, inspired by this Kickin' Kale Salad recipe.
2-3 cups torn kale leaves
2 roasted red peppers, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 can cannellini or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2-3 Tbsp. capers (or you can use green olives, cut in half)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Olive oil, enough to coat salad when tossed
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Mix it all together! Kale actually tastes better when it sits for a little bit with the olive oil and lemon, so don't be afraid to toss the salad a half hour or so before serving.
A delicious addition to this meal is a wintery soup, like roasted cauliflower soup. This recipe was inspired by this recipe from Cooking Light.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
1 head of cauliflower florets
2 tsp. olive oil
Dash of salt
4 slices of bacon
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk (or half-and-half)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss cauliflower with olive oil and salt. Arrange in single layer in jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender and browned. Stir once after 30 minutes.
- While cauliflower cooks, cook bacon in grill pan. Remove from heat and crumble once bacon is cooked through.
- Heat olive oil in a pot. Add onion and garlic, saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower, stock, and water to pot. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in milk.
- Blend mixture with immersion blender - a new Christmas gift that I've loved using!
- Top with almonds and parsley.
This soup is so creamy, you wouldn't guess that it's made from a vegetable!
We have the soup and salad from this post's title, but where's the seconds?
Round II: Roasted Cauliflower & Potato Soup