Chia Seed & Oatmeal Chocolate Pudding
I was originally inspired to try chocolate chia seed pudding from the blog Peanut Butter Fingers, but I wasn't in the mood for dessert. Instead, I waited until the morning and made it into a scrumptious breakfast by mixing oats and peanut butter in!
1/4 cup chia seeds
3/4 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup instant oats (gluten free)
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. peanut butter
- Combine chia seeds, almond milk, cocoa powder, and sugar together in a container. Store in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, transfer chia seed pudding to bowl and combine with instant oats, water, and peanut butter. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes, stir, and then heat another 30 seconds. (Note: I use Trader Joe's gluten free instant oats so you may want to check the recommended cooking time for your instant oats.)
- Top with sliced banana and enjoy!
This breakfast is guaranteed to keep you full until lunch! Plus, it's chocolatey, peanut buttery, and delicious.
Homemade (Gluten Free) Protein Bars
Going gluten free has required a little more foresight in planning quick, on-the-go snacks. Since I teach a lot of my Student Launch Pad students during their lunch period, my lunch either has to be eaten before 11:30am when I leave or after 2:30pm when I'm back home. As a result I've relied on eating filling snacks in the late morning and a lighter lunch in the afternoon. These homemade protein bars, inspired by No Meat Athlete, are a perfect solution!
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 large banana, mashed
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups oats (gluten free)
1 cup Silvana's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour blend (any flour will work here)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- In a blender or food processor, combine chickpeas, peanut butter, honey, mashed banana, almond extract, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Add oats and flour and pulse to combine, adding 1/4 cup water if needed. (Or alternatively recruit your husband to scrape the mixture out of the blender and kneed it all together with his hands, like I did!)
- Add in coconut, cranberries, chocolate chips, and chia seeds, and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and slice into bars. Store in airtight container.