Thursday, June 28, 2012

Maximize your summer: Do something new!

Have you ever rediscovered an old passion and realized you're a bit rusty; or maybe this summer you're wanting to pursue a new interest but you don't have much experience?

Starting something new is both challenging and motivational. When you first try something you're going to come across obstacles, hiccups, and roadblocks along the way. However, you will also start to see improvements quickly, which is very encouraging.

A little rusty? Don't let fear of the unknown prevent you from having an adventurous summer.
Just start pedaling and get going!
If you're embarking on a fitness journey, you'll likely experience sore muscles and shortness of breath. Yet after a couple of weeks your newly toned muscles will keep you flexing in the mirror when no one is looking! Those new to gardening are going to have some plants that wither and die, but the veggies that grow or flowers that bloom will seem oh so lovely. New chefs burns meals and set the smoke detector off, but a perfectly seasoned entree is worth the trial and error. And photographers know that it takes thousands of clicks to capture a priceless shot.

This summer John and I are training for our first sprint triathlon. On race day, we'll be swimming 0.47 miles (750 meters), biking 12 miles (20K), and running 3.1 miles (5K) - in that order.

I love running so I'm not training much for that aspect (though I am a bit nervous that my legs will feel like jello by the end). Instead, the swimming in open water is what I'm focusing on most. Over the years I've swum occasionally for a good workout, but this time I have one of those "cute" athletic one pieces, hot pink goggles, and a swim cap. I don't quite look like a pro swimmer yet (it's probably the hot pink goggles!), but I love the training and how good you feel after a swim.

I'll keep you updated on my triathlon journey this summer but so far so good! It's especially fun having John along for the journey as well so we can train together, such as spending a Saturday biking around Stone Mountain. Plus, John said he'll stay at my pace on race day.

To sum it all up, my challenge to you is to pursue something new this summer! Don't worry if you're a bit rusty or if it's challenging at first. View your new pursuit as an adventure and appreciate the small accomplishments along the way!

Try something new! This summer, John and I spent an afternoon kayaking (even occasionally over sharks!) in the Bahamas. 
  1. Choose something you've always wanted to do or are interested in learning more about. You'll never know if you like something if you don't try, right? The worst that will happen is you can cross something off your list of potential interests... The best: You discover a whole new side of you!
  2. Make it fun! For example, do a race somewhere you've always wanted to visit. This summer, my first 10K was in Boulder.
  3. Get your friends involved. Doing something with friends will keep you motivated when you experience the small setbacks. Plus, you can socialize and develop new strengths all at once!
  4. Expect some setbacks, but don't let them deter you from your goal. Instead, recognize your new pursuit as a journey and remember that scaling the mountains will swell your success.
Now that I've told you about my fitness goals this summer, I'd love to hear from you. What are you rediscovering or trying your hand at this summer? How do you stay motivated? Best of luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment