Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spicing up your morning: Day II of A Week of Ginger

During A Week of Kale, I invited you to add some adventure to your morning. Well, if you're up to the challenge again, how about spicing up your breakfast routine? 

In addition to loving green smoothies, I've begun adding ginger to my smoothies too. The ginger adds a refreshing touch, especially when used with hemp protein powder. 


I've made the switch from whey to hemp protein powder for a couple of reasons. First, for lactose intolerance reasons (though a scoop of whey powder doesn't really affect me too much) but more importantly for nutrient sake. Whey protein powder has a list of ingredients that I can't pronounce. Though I have Trader Joe's brand, I still prefer putting food in my body that I recognize. Hemp protein powder's ingredients are simple: hemp, palm sugar, and cocoa. Also, hemp protein powder has 9g of fiber per serving, compared to whey's meager less than one gram. 

The one drawback is that the whey powder is definitely tastier and more "chocolatey." Hemp is more "natural." However, because of A Week of Ginger I now discovered the perfect accompaniment to my hemp protein powder. You guessed it... ginger!

Today, I enjoyed a Banana, Avocado, Ginger Smoothie (picture at top) 

Ingredients:
1/2 banana
1 inch slice frozen avocado
2 frozen strawberries
1 Tbsp. wheat germ
3 Tbsp. chocolate hemp protein powder
1/4 tsp. vitamin C powder
1/2 Tbsp. grated ginger
3/4 to 1 cup almond milk (depending on desired creaminess)

Preparation: Blend together (in your Magic Bullet!) until smooth.



No comments:

Post a Comment