It was an usually warm and sunny day, so we met up with several friends, sat on picnic blankets in the park, and enjoyed the music and festivities. After all that spicy chili, we cooled off with King of Pops popsicles - the best!
|Anna and me at the Chili Festival|
For breakfast, pour a bowl of this delicious granola with some almond milk, and heat it up in the microwave for a warm start to the day!
Makes 3 2/3 cups
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free if making GF version)
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped almonds (or slivered almonds)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread oats and quinoa on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Toast in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove oats from oven, pour into bowl and add flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and raisins.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, pumpkin puree, oil, spices, salt, and vanilla. Pour over oats and stir with a spatula.
- Spread mixture evenly onto baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
Spaghetti-style Spaghetti Squash
1 spaghetti squash, halved and deseeded
1 onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
Dash of red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp. oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 15 ounce can of diced, roasted tomatoes
1 cup spinach
Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place halved and deseeded squash on greased baking sheet, with cut sides down. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes (depending on size of squash) or until inside is tender.
- Once squash is done, remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Caramelize onions over low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add in mushrooms and spices. Cook for an additional five minutes.
- Add in spinach and tomatoes; let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Scrape flesh out of spaghetti squash with a fork into a large bowl.
- Add tomato mixture into bowl with spaghetti squash, and toss to combine.
- Top with cheese if desired.